As a surfer on a budget accommodation means camping. Whether it’s in Europe or the other side of the world it’s something we love to do. However, we’d be the first to admit that most of our camping food habits just aren’t up to scratch – we snack on junk and eat cheap. But to make the most of our fireside surf experiences, eating the right meals is high priority, we want to feel good to enable us to surf better. It’s never as easy it sounds, but to give you some healthy ideas, here’s some recipes to keep your surfing (and camping) spirits high.
Breakfast on the road doesn’t have to be sugary cereal. This recipe is a low in sugar and full of flavours! Avocado is a perfect breakfast picked for its high nutrient value whilst eggs are great for healthy boost. Packed with essential minerals this type of breakfast gives you all you need in the morning.
- Small egg
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- ½ teaspoon of fresh ground pepper
- Peel the avocado and cut it on half. Remove the pit, drilling a little hole.
- Crack in a small egg and spice it with fresh ground pepper and sea salt.
- Place avocado over the fire and cover it with a bit of foil. Cook until the yolk reaches the constancy you love.
- Top it up with a spoon of favourite salsa and enjoy!
Burgers are the ultimate camp food but with a few adjustments you can make a healthy and high in protein meal which will help you perform better. Replace the regular bun with brown bread for a dose of fibre that regulates your blood sugar. With the chicken (or try salmon or halloumi cheese if you don’t eat meat), add fresh herbs and leaves which will benefit your body. This low-calorie but high-protein meal, along with exercise, is the way forward!
– 1 tablespoon tandoori paste
– low -fat natural yoghurt
– chicken breast fillets
– cucumber, trimmed
– 2 tablespoons chopped coriander, ground black pepper
– 50g baby spinach leaves
– wholegrain buns
- Combine natural yogurt with tandoori paste and coat your chicken breasts. Place on the grill until nice and gold.
- Cut cucumber into pieces, season with coriander and set aside.
- Serve wholemeal buns with chicken topped with cucumber and grilled tomatoes. Place a few leaves of spinach and finish off with dash of yoghurt.
For a healthy snack try grilled strawberries with natural yogurt. It is not that different from your favourite marshmallow but has many more benefits. Strawberries are known from being full of antioxidants and the natural yogurt supports your immune system.