Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and sets us up for whatever the day has in store, finding a healthy and delicious breakfast isn’t as hard as you may think.
We’re going to kick off our healthy Sofa to Surf recipes with a lovely nutritious breakfast from the Squirrel Sisters. We love their Cacao Porridge and if you find yourself craving sweet things in the morning this meal will do just the trick without the guilt. This breakfast is full of fibre, antioxidants and vitamins, the list goes on. It’s also gluten-free and dairy free.
Oats are a great way to start your day for many reasons. They’re packed full of a type of soluble fibre called beta-glucan which gives you an increased feeling of fullness for longer, which can reduce bad snacking. Oats also help maintain blood sugar levels and reduce cholesterol. They are so versatile and be enjoyed hot or cold.
The nutritional benefits of this breakfast don’t stop there, raw organic cacao powder is an amazing superfood with over 40 times more antioxidants than blueberries, a high plant-based source of iron, more calcium than cows mild and can also help boost your mood and increase the feeling of happiness in your brain.
This breakfast just keeps ticking boxes!
- 30g x jumbo oats (gluten-free)
- 1/2 x cup almond milk
- 2 x tsp raw cacao powder
- 1 x large Medjool date (stoned and chopped up)
- a sprinkle of almond flakes
1) In a small pan pour in the oats and almond milk and simmer on a medium heat for about 6 minutes until the oats have cooked.
2) Once cooked turn off the heat and add the cacao powder and mix well.
3) Pour into a small bowl and sprinkle over the Medjool date pieces and flaked almonds.
Before eating mix everything together so the sweetness of theMmedjool dates blends throughout the porridge. Enjoy.
For more inspiring, healthy recipes get the Surf Girl Guide to Surf Fitness