Welcome to SurfGirl’s Winter Wetsuit Guide. We’ve got the lowdown on all the best winter suits, plus top tips to save you time and money when buying a wetsuit.
Planning on surfing all winter? Then you’re going to need a decent wetsuit to keep you warm. Here’s our top tips and top picks.
1. Shop around Try on as many wetsuits as possible. Try new styles, brands and sizes, and don’t just stick to what you know. You might well come up trumps with a wetsuit that could change your whole experience of surfing in winter.
2. Buy the wetsuit that fits you best Don’t be put off by the size on the label. Whether you have to go up or down a size, it doesn’t matter. What does matter is that it fits perfectly. We all have different body shapes, so find a suit that works best for yours.
3. Invest in your kit As a general rule, the more you spend on a wetsuit, the better the quality you’ll get. And while this isn’t always the case, it’s better to invest in the best wetsuit you can.
4. Know what thickness you need for the region where you’re surfing A 4/3mm wetsuit is perfect for autumn in Europe. As the water temperature ebbs in December/ January, you’ll probably feel need something warmer to keep going through until March/ April. A 5/3mm wetsuit will keep you warm all winter long in most parts of Europe and is the most popular ratio for a winter wetsuit. If you really feel the cold or are hitting extremely low water temperatures, go for a 6/5/3mm – these usually come with built-in hoods too.
5. Try a chest zip or a zipper-less wetsuit If you’ve always worn a back zip, why not try a chest zip, which keeps more water out and more warmth in? Or even try a zipper-less suit, which practically eliminates water entry due to the lack of seams.