Words by Corinne Evans. Photo by O’Neill
Here at SurfGirl we love nothing more than spending our free time in the surf and at the beach. It makes us feel alive, refreshed and energised even after a hard day in the office. Within the surfing community there is a popular saying, “Only a surfer knows the feeling.” It’s something that as been banded around for a while now and it couldn’t be more true.
If you haven’t been fortunate enough to try surfing or any watersport for that matter you won’t be able to begin to know what us surfers feel when out in the water. Surfing isn’t just a sport, it’s a way of life and a chance for us all to connect with mother nature and feel a little closer to the world around us. It’s a magical sport which has so many positive effects to our minds and bodies and something we would urge everyone to give it a go.
All over the world surf camps and schools are popping up so there are more opportunities than ever to learn to surf. If you’re still not convinced on giving surfing a go we have complied our top 5 reasons why you should start surfing!
Courtney Conlogue. Photo courtesy Billabong
5 Reasons why you should start surfing
- Surfing keeps you physically fit and is far more exciting than running on a treadmill.
- The ocean can have a calming effect so surfing can be used as way to chill out after a hectic week or busy day at work.
- Surfing is social! It’s a great way to meet people who tend to have similar interests.
- You’ll get the biggest adrenaline rush from riding the waves.
- Surfing makes you feel alive again, whether it’s the warm water and sun on your skin or an cold icy duck dive, you’re body will feel awake, alert and ready for anything.
For tips on how to begin or improve your surfing, get a copy of The Surf Girl Handbook, available worldwide or from the Beach Boutique.